Monday, January 23, 2012

One Step Today

Last week during Friday's class we had a lecture on the fundamentals of a qualitative research project. I was extremely appreciative of this lesson, and look forward to similar lectures and readings. The tips given seem so apparent (e.g. "start with what you know"), but I like to have things clearly outlined, and to have blatant guidelines. This characteristic of mine makes a field project, especially one where I am in charge of my research questions, conducting the applicable fieldwork, and writing ethnographic notes, very scary. Such free reign might sound liberating and fun, and it very well can be, but for me it is also somewhat overwhelming. I am afraid of my own inadequacies and limitations, and this causes stress about such independent work. At the same time, however, I am excited about the chance to learn and grow from this experience. Ashley's lesson helped me feel even more excited, as I realized that by taking each step one at a time, and working to excel in the simple things, I will be able to set myself up for success.

No comments:

Post a Comment