Friday, January 20, 2012

The History of Chance

I enjoyed the introductory history lesson on Wednesday. It seemed to help make Ghana become more "real" in my mind, for lack of a better word. Becoming familiar with a place's history and background definitely makes it a less abstract concept for me mentally. Growing up in the United States has caused me to often make ethnocentric assumptions that America is basically the star of the world, and what all other world inhabitants look to for what they desire in life. Obviously, this worldview has consistently changed as I have become more educated and less ignorant. However, I have still been left with a surreal sense of the reality of other countries. Of course I know they are there, but I have a hard time realizing that they are just as existent in their history, interactions, government, and even day-to-day human life as my own country.
Learning about contemporary politics, and the historical events that have shaped Ghana into what it is today makes it easier for me to realize that I could have just as easily been born a Ghanaian instead of an American. I would have had no less significance as a resident of Earth, and my life would be filled with historical events and everyday culture that are just as important as what I experience now. Maybe this is a strange revelation to read about because it seems so apparent. But I have become impressed again, just as I was in my other travels abroad, by the way exposure to lifestyles and histories other than my own has caused a humbling mental connection for me. This connection reminds me that nationality, ethnicity, etc. truly have no bearing on an individual's importance as a human being. Despite our regional and cultural differences, we are all trying to find happiness, satisfaction, truth, or whatnot in the same sphere of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment