Friday, January 13, 2012

Swimming in Context: The Cultural Iceberg

I really appreciated the iceberg analogy we talked about in class. It was a great way to conceptualize the theory I have been consistently learning in my anthropology and sociology classes. I realized the lesson of the iceberg applies not only to relating with differing cultures on an international level, but also to relating with everyday aquaintances. Navigating the waters of contrasting internal realities between all human beings can be extremely intimidating, but realizing that personal context is a mini-culture in itself, and then connecting this to the iceburg analogy can put things into better perspective. There are a number of things I see when I first meet any person - their physical appearance, whether they are outgoing or shy, the body language and vocal cues they employ - but realizing that this is just the tip of their iceburg can help me be better prepared to relate to them as a fellow human being. I believe this realization can translate into the field as I encounter a culture and people foreign to me. Practicing with individuals who have been shaped by a variety of environmental factors, and who share my general culture, will allow me to seek the submerged part of the iceburg in Ghana, the deeper elements that shape the culture and society I will be experiencing. This will allow for better fieldnotes and an overall greater project and learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment