Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Updates of the Utmost Importance

No time to choose journal entries - the power is out once again, and we are working off a generator with limited fuel.... But here are some interesting/humorous tidbits from the week...

-I officially have tasted and swallowed (unknowingly until mid-chew) cow face... and yes, it was like biting off a piece of leather, chomping to no avail, and swallowing with great reluctance 
-Lauren, Jackie, Natalie, Vicky (a 4'9'' heroic Salvationist from London) and I desperately hoisted ourselves through the back window of a trotro to beat the mad crowd from beating us to seats (In our defense, we'd already been boxed out of two) - If you don't understand, look up some Ghana trotro youtube vids and take a look at the back side windows 
-I have completed and transcribed four interviews, and am starting to gain more clarity about my project, and the complex issues surrounding it 
-I felt empowered myself watching the Form 3 girls stand up and vocally challenge problems they see in their social structure and government, while I observed a social studies class
-I taught junior high kids the Hokey Pokey, Chicken Dance, and Macarena with Lauren while their very serious teachers told them to carefully watch how we executed the footwork (haha), and then ate some spicy hot soup and washed my hands off in the rain and dried them on a window curtain (as instructed by one of the teachers) 

Its just little things like these that make my week, every week. I am living the life! 

2 comments:

  1. hahaha girl that post made me laugh!!! i will say, i have not eaten cow face before, nor will i ever here in India, but i have had my fair share of things that i will NEVER put near my mouth again... i bet those kids loved you! do people think you are from Ghana?? what is living like? hope you are well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl! people do not think I am Ghanaian, but are thrilled when I tell them I am "half obruni, half obibini" They like that I have some Afrian roots! I am doing great, and loving being here. How is India?? I am laughing about our struggles last semester, you, Lauren, and I - and now we are all halfway cross the world - it really happened! Hope things are going great for you too!

    ReplyDelete