Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Some Reasons Why...


[I wrote this in a family email, and was not very concerned about the writing quality, my apologies]

...I know I was in Peru for a couple weeks, and in Japan for even a couple months. Unfortunately however, I was less mature, and did not have aims for what I wanted to get out of those experiences, especially since I had not yet started to get deep into my major, anthropology, which has really drastically changed the way I go about thinking about my time, purpose, and perspectives in life.  Therefore, those trips were fun, and they sparked my interest in other cultures and travel, but they were just touristy, shallow experiences compared to the type of thing I am trying to pull off now. With my academic training and newfound passion for culture, social behavior, and the implications these things hold for God’s children and our eternal natures, this trip is already different. I am invested in the people I am meeting, viewing them more as my brothers and sisters who have so much to offer and amazing things they can teach me, instead of just as added décor in an exotic tour of a foreign place.

I know anthropology may not be that “practical” of a subject (if practical is to be defined as lucrative instead of useful or significant), but it truly is a study I wish everyone had at least some exposure to. It shows humans as the beautiful beings they truly are, and honestly combats prejudice, racism, discrimination, ethnocentrism, and whatnot in better ways than any primetime special about the civil rights movement. The training I had during my prep classes before starting this field study, along with basic social theory, has caused me to become incredibly cautious in the way I view other people, realizing that I am not one to judge, since each of our lives are circumstantial, and I cannot possibly hope to ever think in the same patterns as my neighbor next door, let alone a Ghanaian living in my small cocoa village.

Also, as an international development minor, I have been trying to conceptualize this experience based on the fundamental lessons I have received in social, economical, political, and ethical issues that affect the development industry worldwide – which is basically the groups, both governmental and independent of government, that are attempting to enter the Third World (Ghana included) and change things for the better – or what is contrived to be “better” by whatever group is involved. I have spoken to several of my Ghanaian friends here about development, and how so many of the Ghanaians I have met seem to be obsessed with the West, and dream of moving to America or Europe. Sometimes it is quite sad because, although I risk an overgeneralization, the people I have met here are God-fearing, highly participant in church and religious activity, and include praises and thanks to the Lord in casual conversation daily. They hold to many conservative, “old-fashioned” values, such as praying in schools, and respect to parents and grandparents. Yet, look at America – the most highly “advanced” and “developed” nation – struggling with these issues, allowing a blurring of ethical lines, and frankly forgetting God in almost everything, or completely abandoning an acknowledgement of his blessings and guidance. What I am trying to say is, “development” comes with large sacrifices. And they look a whole lot like the Pride Cycle I am reading about in the Book of Mormon. So, my aim in studying development is to hopefully become an instrument of change in ways that are positive, efficient, and that avoid the exploitation of another’s culture and the beautiful particularities of their lifestyle that may differ at times from the Western norm…

No comments:

Post a Comment