Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Overcoming my Ophelia

I finally did the "The Ophelia Syndrome" reading and enjoyed it as much as Jackie, Lauren, and Natalie said I would. This reading had a lot of great points, although I think it was less shock-inducing for me than it might have been to students of some other majors. The type of eye-opening, mind-blowing, epiphany-like revelation this article might cause for some students started happening to me sophomore year, in my Anthropology of Linguistics class, and then at a higher level last semester in Contemporary Theory. Both of these classes were taught by Professor Buonforte. His classes have by far been the most enjoyable for me here at BYU. I think he represents one of those teachers talked about by Plummer in "The Ophelia Syndrome." Let me give an example of how he has contrasted compared to some of my other courses in anthropology; specifically, how his theory course contrasted with my fundamental theory course taught by a different professor.

Fundamental theory course taught by unnamed professor:
  • Everyday was a powerpoint lecture - the dull tool of *limited* inspiration that offers 2-D text, a few pictures, and more text. And a lot of note-taking. And often not too much class participation.
  • The required texts were informative, but the reading selections were at times repetitive, or not explained or given preface when they contained challenging material.
  • When students posed ideas they were often tersely "corrected," with no room for exploration. The professor basically employed just a Polonius-like show of authority
This could go on, but chances are one gets the point if they have attended even a couple semesters of Western-style university.

Contemporary Theory taught by Professor Buonforte
  • Everyday of class is held as a fish-bowl discussion. Students face each other in a circle, and Buonforte was part of that circle
  • Everyone's answers were considered. Right/wrong conclusions were explored as a class
  • Readings were accompanied by journal entries that were not read by the teacher - these allowed us to record our own unexamined thought processes while reading
  • The reading selection varied between the expected theorists, and maybe more risky/fringe theorists, to give us a wider understanding of what ideologies were out there, instead of just the most commonly accepted ones

Thus, I can definitely relate to the Ophelia Syndrome in a school situation. It may have been more straightforward exactly what would get me an "A" in the former class situation I described, but I barely remember anything I learned from that class. The latter situation described left me with lasting impressions, and altered the way I go about my life. It encouraged individuation, instead of just another mindless sheep following the "greats" in academia.

I loved how Plummer talked about the importance of attempting to see from another's perspective. This concept is very important to me personally, and as someone trying to conduct effective ethnographic research.

Personally, I 100% back looking at a situation from another's perspective. This is hard for anyone, I know it is for me. However, my background has forced me to consciously do this, especially as I have gotten older. Being half-black, half-white AND a Mormon AND attending BYU, has been an eye-opening experience. Yes, I know that race is socially constructed, and that speaking about it solidifies it more as a concrete issue. However, the fact is, it is already a major part of social dialogue, and, as I have discovered, it impacts the way one views the world. My ethnic differences have ultimately caused me many differentiations in my thinking about politics, family, fairness and equality, etc compared to many of my colleagues, and even many of my family members. So, if something as external as my skin color can affect the way I view a situation, I am guessing almost any small, seemingly non-consequential aspect can affect how another views any situation. I have been frustrated with some of the ways in which my desires/interests have been grouped and represented according to my membership in larger groups that have been stereotyped (e.g. as part of the BYU student body), and have had to learn that I must attempt to shake of the Poloniuses in my life, or remain discontent. Similarly, I must work to see that others have their own perspectives, and their own rights to fight the Ophelia Syndrome with their own unique views.

This will apply to my research in Ghana, as I work to overcome biased thoughts, ideas, and emotions while working in the context of a foreign culture. My Western boundaries, and learned social systematic methods may not always be the best rules to use when going about my learning. I have to realize that my individualized creativity and insight can add just as much to my work and learning as can applying the standard theory I read in textbooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment