Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Mishaps in Methodology, and What I've Learned

On Monday I had the privilege of interviewing a Ghanaian girl from my ward for my methods practice. The experience was both rewarding and frustrating, and ultimately I was grateful for the practice, because it exposed me a little bit more to how much effort qualitative research really requires.

Why was it rewarding?
I could not help feeling exhilarated as I learned about Ghana from a native Ghanaian, and from real first-hand accounts. It made my project seem so much more relevant, even if only to my own consciousness, and reminded me why ethnography is so exciting. For that small sliver of time I was able to somewhat break out of the limited scope of my immediate worldview. It reminded me of what I heard in Contemporary Theory last semester - language transcends both time and place. Through my interviewee's words I was in a small, limited way transported to another society with new rules, and norms. It was also very relieving to hear from a Ghanaian, that she thought my project would likely be a very good research topic, and a contemporary issue.

Why was it frustrating?
I began to realize that interviewing is a skill that requires a LOT of practice. I had troubles forming my questions in a way where they would not be leading to specific answers, or leaning one way or another. I was awkward when there was silence, and instead of hesitating a little, or subtly prompting for an extended answer, I would rush on to the next question. Sometimes, I would even voice my own inferences in the form of a question, which I realized could have been very leading. I can only imagine how much more difficult interviews might prove to be in Ghana, compared to one that was already hard and took place here at BYU.

Fortunately, I am just a beginner, and have plenty of time to practice my new tools of methodology. For my field project in Ghana, where I hope interviewing will be a big part of my methods, I am definitely going to work on framing effective questions, and disciplining my own behavior as the interviewer in a way that will garner the best possible results.

These are a few of the notes I collected:

#6:To -----, the social system was simple – the two extremes of rich and poor, and then the average middle, not several layers in between. Its seems that it is important to the wealthy to appear wealthy and show their wealth. They do this by sending their kids to well-known and pricey schools, and by giving money to the less fortunate.

#7:----- painted a picture very different from America. Americans are stereotypically capitalistic – each for their own. Their own hard work will benefit them and them alone. However, ----- states that Ghanaians have a more communal outlook. She could go to her neighbors for food when she was lacking, and would be treated as a family member.

#8:For rural children to gain a university education, they would have to migrate to the urban areas. This could be a problem if they want to stay near family to help. Having no universities in nearby villages presents a problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment