Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Random Journal Posts #2


….Today I sat in on a different English class from Fobi’s classes. The teacher was giving a lesson about debate, and it was very interesting hearing the various debate topics he gave as examples. They were actually very culturally telling. The first one was about homosexuality, and whether gays should be allowed to marry or not. He even brought up that Obama, a man “of African blood” had made his support known for gay marriage. I have heard several people bring up the fact that Obama did this. They seem very surprised, which I can assume is because they do not have any idea about gay relations and controversy within America. Anyway, the other debate topics included whether boys or girls were smarter, if mixed gender schools or single gender schools were more conducive to learning, and –the topic for this year- if traditions are holding people back from progressing…

…For one, I fought a spider that literally could be close to being classifed tarantula if it had just a little more hair. I didn’t think it was possible, but I did. And I may exaggerate the sizes of creepy crawlers in the States, but I’ve got pictures to reinforce the validity of this monster. The same night that thing was crawling across our walls, a lizard friend also joined the part on the ceiling. And of course that was the night we did not have electricity, so all the fun happened by the light of my flashlight…

…The next day I was able to go to a wedding celebration for a woman Natalie works with at the clinic. She is a member of the Savior Church, which I was surprised to discover practices polygamy. We did not know what to expect at all, and the actual ceremony had occurred the night before, so this was like their equivalent of a reception. We sat down and waited for things to begin, and were treated to something truly wonderful. The older women wore veils, and the men wore long white robes, and one of the men started singing solo, with the others joining in with beautiful harmonizing that sounded like Muslim prayer chants. Then a small group started playing instruments, and the women began coming out for a large dance. It was a special kind of dance that used just a subtle shuffling of the feet, and the waving of a kerchief in the right hand. This dancing was joined in at different times by the men, young girls who had vowed chastity till marriage, and even us for an obruni dance! Everyone was laughing and smiling and having a wonderful time, and it really was a beautiful experience…

…However, in the ICT class, I met a very sweet girl named Evelyn. She is 20, and told me she really wanted to be a police officer. However, her father wants her to train to be a nurse, so she was in the study topic to be a nurse (home economics). She told me however, that she hated blood, and laughingly told me a story of pounding her sister’s hand while they made fufu, not being able to take the sight of blood, and her mother becoming angry with her because her sister needed to take her exams the next day. She also asked me how old I was, and like others who have asked me, seemed surprised. She said, “God has made you people special, you grow big in body, but are small in age” haha...

No comments:

Post a Comment